I love DC. It might actually be my second favorite city to visit (after Philly, of course), for many reasons, but mostly because a few of my favorite people live there. It’s also jam-packed with history and beautiful buildings and there’s always new restaurants popping up that I’m dying to try. This weekend’s trip was lucky enough to include all of the above.
Kacy, Kelly, Amy and I don’t get together too often, but when we do it’s like no time has passed at all. Have I mentioned we’re internet friends? Is that weird? I don’t care. These girls are my long-lost sisters. We can talk about anything and everything, and it’s so fun to see how much our lives have changed between visits. Kacy’s about to move to Brazil, Amy is getting married in July and Kelly’s about to move into a glorious apartment with her man. And of course, I’ve got my lil’ bump.
We had such a beautiful day – 65 and sunny – and really enjoyed just walking and talking. I hit 16,000+ steps on my fitbit for the day, which I’m pretty sure is more than I had the entire month of February. I have to admit, it was really hard to sit with them and drink water while they all enjoyed a glass of wine, but I sneaked a few sips here and there. #SorryNotSorry. We had a great dinner at Mango Tree (despite iffy service and an incident with very overpriced chicken pad thai) and spent a few hours afterwards talking until I couldn’t keep my eyes open any more. It was so sad to say goodbye knowing it will be a while until we all get together again, but I am so so happy we got this trip in before my life is all diapers and no sleep and baby snuggles.
So let’s take a left turn to Trader Joe’s, shall we? Another tradition of mine when I visit DC is to hit the TJ’s in Clarendon, VA. I used to spend at least $50 stocking up on booze, but alas, my priorities have shifted. I still managed to rack up about $200 of goods, but this is like a once-a-year trip so don’t judge me. And because I’m a creeper who loves to hear what other people buy at the grocery store, specifically TJ’s, I thought I’d share my usual hit list of items I grab, plus a few new-to-me products.
The Usual Suspects:
- Raisin Rosemary Crisps – best sweet/savory crackers ever
- Salsa (plain)
- Herbed pizza dough – great for strombolis!
- Jalapeno & Cilantro Hummus
- Just mango dried mango pieces – major pregnancy craving for me right now
- Quinoa and Black Bean tortilla chips
- Organic Brown Basmati Rice
- Dark chocolate bar with caramel and coconut – my favorite candy bar of all time
- Quinoa stir fry – perfect for when I don’t feel like making dinner or a quick side
- 50% less salted almonds
- Organic breakfast blend coffee beans
- Organic steel cut oats
- Three Cheese Pomadoro Sauce – this is literally the best jarred pasta sauce ever
- Inner Peas – these
will be gone tomorroware gone
- Crispy Cookies with Belgian Chocolate – heavenly
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi – can’t wait to devour
- Eggplant with Tomato & Onions – tried in store, bought 4 cans
- Face Wash w/ Tea Tree Oil – VERY strong smell, but felt lovely afterwards
- Lavender Salt Scrub – nice scent, hoping this will help with really dry skin
So that’s my little weekend of fun. Please tell me what things I need to check out next time I make it to Trader Joe’s! I’m always so overwhelmed when I’m there and momma is on a budget, but I also have major FOMO so hit me.