We made it.
This week was long and short. Does that make sense? By Thursday morning I was like, “omg it’s already Thursday!” but by Thursday afternoon, I was all, “uggh it’s still only Thursday.” You feel me? No? Ok. I’m used to it.
1. Still doing pretty well in our mission to spend less/use what we have in the dinner department. This week I made an awesome pesto from kale and arugula that were both on their way out the door. I was planning on using almonds, but to my dismay I didn’t have any. Instead I added some almond butter and it worked like a charm! A little garlic, parm and olive oil and it was pest’o’clock. Fun with words.
We actually had it two nights in a row with some form of pasta, and then on the third night I shmeared some on my veggie burger and it was a delight. Still under budget for the month at the grocery store… but I fear that may change after next week.
2. What was not a pleasant cooking experience this week is something tragic that occurred on Saturday night. You guys remember my sister-wife, yes?
Yes. The beloved crock pot. Light of my life. Maker of many meals. Keeper of various hot dips.
Well, she died.
Not just as I was about to use her either, OH NO. I realized it the next morning when I woke up to find almost $20 of raw pork shoulder in an ice cold bath of despair. I’m not quite sure when she croaked, or if she ever actually heated up, but it was not a good way to start a Sunday, standing over 8lbs of seared and seasoned meat, just laying in your trash can. I may have almost cried (#hormones), and I definitely swore a lot. Thankfully the company has been super cool and apologetic about it and is sending me a new one, even though the warranty has expired. Shout out to Hamilton Beach! It was still a solemn day in our house, and one I won’t soon forget. RIP, sweet girl.
3. Want to hear something completely mortifying? Remember a week ago when I told you how I finished watching Parenthood, but like, felt it was kind of unfinished? Uhhhhh BECAUSE IT’S NOT. Just found out I only watched 5 seasons and there’s a 6th that hasn’t premiered on Netflix yet. So I’m an idiot. My bff texted me and was like “you know there are six seasons, right?”
Yeah. So that happened. Good news is I still have another season to watch! Hooray! Bad news is I can’t wait another 6 months (or however long Netflix will take) so I’ll most likely be getting Hulu so I can have it omgrightnow. Because why get my own house ready for a baby when I can just watch pretend families raise their children?
4. We finished our first round of baby classes this week and it was alarming how many things we were way off on/didn’t know/completely freaked us out. Like newborn baby belly buttons scare the bejesus out of me. All I can think of is the episode of Sex & the City when Miranda’s cat plays with Brady’s after it falls off (FALLS. OFF.), and I am 100% convinced that will happen to us and Ace will eat it. I just threw up a little thinking about it. Mark my words. This will happen. Otherwise we learned some things that were really helpful (bathing tips, sleeping do’s & don’ts, feeding info, all that jazz) and embarrassed ourselves a few times during a rousing game of parents-to-be trivia. We are actually both really happy we went, though, and Brandon was such a trooper about it. I think I’ll spare him and not make him go to the breastfeeding class, and just hit the childbirth classes with me next month. Although I’m sure talking about labor for like 8 hours will be totes exciting!
5. I’m not going to talk much about TV this week, mostly because we’ve been so busy that I haven’t even watched any really, and also because I’m still reeling from Game of Thrones. I will say I was veeery suspicious that the thing that happened was going to happen, GOT is a huge fan of foreshadowing, but it still cuts like a knife. And that’s all I will say.
I suppose that’s it for this week, I hope you all have lovely little weekends! I’m looking forward to spending some time celebrating my awesome dad on Father’s Day and all the other dads in my life, including my sweet father-to-be hubster. Hope you get to spend some time with all of yours! xo